|Home||About Us||Our Departments||Our Achievements||Our Partners||Events||Parents' Portal|
Sharing session by Mrs Quek Li Gek on “Understanding the Secondary and Post-secondary Education Landscape”
Dear Parents/Guardians of Primary 6 PL-Lites
The Singapore education landscape has changed tremendously since the time we were in school. As a mummy to a Primary 6 child myself, I share some of the concerns that we may not be well-equipped to guide our children’s choices of secondary and post-secondary education institutions. To help parents/guardians, I will be sharing on “Understanding the Secondary and Post-secondary Education Landscape” in a short session.
This session aims to provide parents/guardians with:
· An understanding of the secondary and post-secondary school landscape; and
· An understanding of how we can choose a school that caters to our child’s strengths and interests?
Questions that will be discussed:
1. What are the current options in secondary level education?
2. What are the implications of choosing the Integrated Programme (IP)? How does this route compare to the traditional O-Level route?
3. What are Specialised Independent Schools?
4. How are choices in secondary education linked to post-secondary options?
5. How does the GCE O-Levels compare to the International Baccalaureate (IB) exams?
6. How do I guide my daughter in making a correct choice after the release of the PSLE results?
Event: Sharing session on “Understanding the Secondary and Post-secondary Education Landscape”
Date: 14 Nov 2015 (Sat)
Time: 9 a.m. – 10.30 a.m.
Venue: PLMGS (Sec)
(An email on the specific venue will be sent to you by 12 Nov 2015.)
Please indicate your interest in attending the Sharing session by filling up the form in this link by 12 Nov 2015 (Thurs) 12 noon.
A little about myself, Mrs Quek Li Gek
Before I was posted to PLMGS (Sec) in end 2014, I was the Assistant Director of the Guidance Branch in the Student Development Curriculum Division, Ministry of Education. I started my career as a Teacher in Paya Lebar Methodist Girls’ School (Secondary). I moved into working with the Curriculum Planning and Development Division in MOE, and served in various leadership positions in Compassvale Secondary School and in St Andrew’s Junior College. Part of my previous portfolio was to guide and support the implementation of the Education and Career Guidance (ECG) curriculum in schools. The work that I was immersed in previously, involves researching on issues relating to helping youths find motivation through ECG , developing the Educational and Career Guidance portal for students, and the training of ECG teacher coordinators/counsellors. I was also involved in the work of the Applied Study in Polytechnics and ITE Review (ASPIRE) Committee in 2014. This Committee looked at enhancing career and academic progression prospects for Polytechnic and ITE graduates.